Sydney, spectacularly draped around its glorious harbour and beaches, has visual wow factor like few other cities. From local markets, great coffee and inner-city villages to music festivals and easily accessible tourist destinations, Sydney sparkles and shines and you won’t want to leave.
NEW SOUTH WALES
NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION
We are friendly and welcoming and strive to cater to the needs of the industry around us. We offer many popular short courses bound to pique the interest of even the most highly educated gemmologist. Gemmology House, Wentworth Avenue, Sydney is a lovely place to study, centrally located and within easy walking distance from major transport hubs and surrounded by jewellery and gemstone merchants. Our building has lots of character and we have been operating out of here since 1966. We offer flexible learning options for students and our lecturers are all subject-matter experts in their field. We have two laboratories, a main lecture room, a light-filled students’ room, a well-equipped library and many display cases filled with beautiful and interesting specimens.
COURSE DATES, FEES & ENROLMENTS
Courses are provided by Gem-Ed Australia and individual State Divisions. Click here to view the course dates and fees for New South Wales.
NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION FACILITIES
- Two laboratories
- Main lecture room
- Light filled students room
- Well equipped library
- Display cases filled with beautiful and interesting specimens
- Dr Cheryl Murdoch FGAA NSW Committee Member Close
- Bill Sechos Federal Registrar/NSW Diamond Course Coordinator and Lecturer/NSW Management Committee Member Close
- Damien Gardiner New South Wales Education Support Officer Close
- Amy Wong New South Wales Administrator Close
- Leo Hyde New South Wales President Close
- Jason Rerberger New South Wales Treasurer Close
- Alan Vongsavanh New South Wales Vice President Close
- David van Niekerk New South Wales Secretary Close
- Linda Evenhuis New South Wales Vice President Close
Profile.Dr Cheryl Murdoch FGAA NSW Committee Member
Diploma in Gemmology 2017-2018. Editor “Gem Review” Newsletter and NSW Editorial Liaison. NSW Curator of Specimens from mid 2019. Previous experience in research, science education and educational administration. Amateur jewellery maker for 10 years and beginner lapidarist. Current positions in GAA NSW combine my scientific background in chemistry, interest in minerals and geology and love of gemstones and jewellery.
Profile.Bill Sechos Federal Registrar/NSW Diamond Course Coordinator and Lecturer/NSW Management Committee Member
After having held a number of Federal positions in the GAA, including Federal President, Chair of the Board of Studies and Examinations, and Chief Examiner, Bill is currently Federal Registrar of the GAA. He is Course Coordinator and lecturer for GAA’s Diploma of Diamond Technology in NSW and GAA’s principal lecturer/trainer for Practical Diamond Grading and Advanced Practical Diamond Grading Courses in all States except Victoria.
Profile.Damien Gardiner New South Wales Education Support Officer
Damien’s background has been within community education, training and development and case management of adults with coexisting disabilities. Damien’s previous role as an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher was refreshing, although had some systemic challenges, however he is now enjoying the very unique, yet exciting, experiences working within the Gemmology educational sector. Damien has graduate qualifications in education and his professional interests include course marketing and supporting adult students.
As the Education Support Officer for NSW, Damien hopes to develop positive GAA NSW course marketing and build on his competencies in supporting students from all walks of life.
Profile.Amy Wong New South Wales Administrator
Profile.Leo Hyde New South Wales President
Profile.Jason Rerberger New South Wales Treasurer
Profile.Alan Vongsavanh New South Wales Vice President
Profile.David van Niekerk New South Wales Secretary
Profile.Linda Evenhuis New South Wales Vice President
Latest News & EVENTS
- W. H. Hicks Prize 2019-2020 06 June, 2021
- 2021 GAA Federal Conference 20 May, 2021
- Australia Post introduces new Opalised Fossil stamps 18 August, 2020
- Facebook GAA Members Forum 30 July, 2020
- COVID-19 Update 05 June, 2020
- Happy National Volunteers Week 20 May, 2020
- CANCELLED: 2020 GAA Federal Conference 22 March, 2020
courses offered by New South Wales
In this short 2-day course you will learn the basic techniques required to differentiate between natural and synthetic gemstones.Learn More